What Has the Cancer League Accomplished?
Cancer League of Colorado, Inc. was a founding institution for the Cancer Center at the University of Colorado Health Science Center, the only comprehensive cancer center in the Rocky Mountain Region. The Cancer League was also instrumental in funding the Colorado Ronald McDonald House and Qualife, an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for cancer patients.
Cancer League funded research has been successful in leading to ground breaking discoveries, particularly in the field of genetic research. Our funding played a major role in the following discoveries:
- Establishment of a link between DDT and testicular, prostate and breast cancer
- Discovery of a protein that controls silencing DNA cell processes, which, if mutate, can lead to cancer
- Identification of cancer-specific gene expression markers
- Discovery of a region of cell cycle protein, which is essential for its function in regulating normal cell division
- Discovery of the gene targets involved in acute leukemia in humans
Without the aid of CLC, many of these researchers would have struggled greatly to have obtained backing elsewhere, But don’t simply take our word for it. Following are what our research grant recipients have to say about the efficacy of CLC funding in the marathon struggle to find a cure for cancer.